Yesterday (Valentine’s Day) I made these chocolate molten cakes in the shape of hearts. They are delicious and my family loved them! You can also make them in Ramekin dishes.
My silicone heart mold makes 6 cakes.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 C. dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 C. light chocolate chips (I actually like the whole cup to be dark, but my kids like it mixed.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup monkfruit sugar (see my post about sugar)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Einkorn flour (Einkorn flour has less starch, more proteins, more minerals and flavor than regular flour. Also, the gluten structure (in einkorn) is weak, making it remarkably different than our modern wheat.
- Pink Himalayan salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On low heat, slowly melt a stick of butter in a sauce pan. Use a pastry brush to dip into the melted butter and coat the silicone mold. Sprinkle flour to each mold, tap it around until molds are coated. Tap out any extra flour, and set aside.
- Add chocolate to the butter and stir until chocolate melts. Remove the pan from burner.
- In your mixer with whisk attachment, beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt on high speed until thick, pale yellow and doubled in size.
- Fold the flour into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula and then quickly fold in the warm chocolate mixture until just combined. Do not overmix or you’ll lose the volume you created in the egg mixture. The texture should be like chocolate pudding.
- Set the silicone mold or ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer batter to a 4-cup or larger pyrex measuring cup or something with a spout and fill each mold 90% of the way. Sprinkle each cake with a little flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cakes cool inside the mold for 2 minute. Cover mold with another rimmed baking sheet and flip. Let stand for 10 seconds and then lift mold. Some cakes might need a little help to pop out. Best served immediately for cakes with a nice melty center. I topped mine with Truwhip (no hydrogenated oils) and raspberries. Delish and beautiful!